Need to talk?
If you're struggling with how you feel and need to talk, these organisations are there to listen. Don't suffer in silence - pick up the phone, drop them a line or visit their websites.
Childline is the UK’s free helpline for children and young people. It provides confidential telephone counselling service for any child with a problem. It comforts, advises and protects.
- Freephone 0808 808 4994 (7 days a week 1pm-11pm)
Free, confidential telephone and email helpline finding young people the best help whatever the problem. Provides free connections to local or national services, and can text information to callers’ mobile phones.
Straight talk on mental health medication. Look up your medication to find out about side effects and things you might not feel comfortable asking your GP about, and listen to other people's experiences.
- Tel: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hrs 7 days a week)
Samaritans volunteers listen in confidence to anyone in any type of emotional distress, without judging or telling people what to do.
- Freephone 0800 77 66 00 (24 hour service, free if call from a landline and won’t show up on the phone bill, provides translation for non-English speakers)
Confidential information and advice for anyone concerned about their own or someone else’s drug or solvent misuse.
Use Stonewall’s area database to find local lesbian, gay, and bisexual community groups, other generic services, and gay friendly solicitors.
B-EAT youth helpline
- 0845 634 7650 (Monday to Friday evenings from 4.30pm to 8.30pm and Saturdays 1.00pm - 4.30pm)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online community
Information, help and support for anyone affected by eating disorders.
TheSite.org is an online guide to life for 16 to 25 year-olds. It provides non-judgemental support and information on everything from sex and exam stress to debt and drugs.
- Visit www.youthaccess.org.uk to search their directory of services for help in your area.
- Signposting service: 0208 772 9900 (Mon – Fri from 9am-1pm & 2-5pm)
A national membership organisation for youth information, advice and counselling agencies. Provides information on youth agencies to children aged 11-25 and their carers but does not provide direct advice.
Children's legal centre
- Child Law Advice Line 08088 020 008 (freephone)
The Children's Legal Centre is a charity that promotes children's rights and gives legal advice and representation to children and young people.