Transition from CAMHS 

When they reach a certain age, young people who are getting help from Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) will need to move on to get the support they need from Adult Mental Health Services. This is called transition.

CAMHS in different parts of the country have different systems. You might leave CAMHS at the age of 16, 17 or 18, and it can depend on whether you are at school or college. You can ask your CAMHS worker at what age your CAMHS stops seeing young people if you don’t know.

Transition may take place at a time when lots of other things are changing in the rest of your life, so it is important that you know what should happen when you need to move on from CAMHS. 

Top tips for transition

  • You should have an assessment of your needs and have a care plan setting out what support you will get before you leave CAMHS
  • Transition planning should take place in good time, so you know what to expect and when
  • This is about your life, so make sure you are involved
  • Transition should be about you and your needs, not about what the services want
  • You have the right to be heard, and your opinions matter
  • Make sure you have a clear plan for keeping and staying well
  • If you want your parents or carers to involved with your care, tell this to services
  • If you don’t understand what someone is saying to you, ask them to explain
  • If you are not happy with what’s being offered to you, you have the right to complain. 

More Information

Download The young people's guide to transition [PDF]