BBC Learning launches The Mind Set
YoungMinds is working in partnership with BBC Learning to launch The Mind Set, the UK’s first national peer-to-peer coaching network for GCSE students.
The Mind Set provides information and support on how to manage exam stress. Advice comes from 12 trusted student coaches who have been through it before. They have made videos about their experiences, including about looking after their mental health, and they have also shared their stories with listeners on Radio 1’s Live Surgery.
Sinead Rocks, Head of BBC Learning said:
The Mind Set puts students who have experienced the challenges faced in one of the most stressful periods of a young person’s life at the forefront, by sharing their stories with those who are about to travel the same path. We want this campaign to change perceptions of how students approach and deal with the stress of exam periods by highlighting the tips, advice and support networks available to them.”
Tom Madders, Communications and Campaigns Director for YoungMinds, said:
“We know that the run-up to exams is an incredibly stressful time, which can bring everything else to a head. That’s why we are delighted to support The Mind Set – it’s crucial that young people have the advice and support they need.”
The YoungMinds parents’ helpline sees a big spike in calls about young people being stressed and anxious around the time of mocks exams, GCSEs and results days.
Emma Saddleton, our Parents Helpline Manager, has the following advice: “There’s a lot that parents can do, and it’s never too late to start:
- Try to help your child to plan how they’re going to get through it.
- Help them to eat well, to sleep well, and to exercise.
- Don’t expect them to work for seven or eight hours a day, and make sure they’re getting regular breaks.
- Listen to them and take their concerns seriously.
- Remember that young people have different learning styles, and cramming textbooks may well not work for them.
- Take advice from teachers.
- Above all, tell them you’ll be proud of them, however they do.”
The Mind Set has developed in partnership with BBC Learning, Childline and the National Citizen Service. For information, support and advice at exam time, preparing to take exams and dealing with exam pressure visit The Mind Set.