Let's talk body image
Today has seen an excellent report published by the All Party Parliamentary group on Body Image.
They have been conducting a review of attitudes to body image - and it is no suprise that the media come in for some harsh and, in our opinion, deserved criticism.
It is a very welcome report, focusing on a key issue that impacts on children and young people's wellbeing.
The report calls for:
- A review into the scale of the problem of appearance-based discrimination amd how this could be tackled.
- A review into BMI and its use as an indicator of good health.
- A re-framing of health messages from a focus on weight-loss to health enhancing behaviour.
- A review into the evidence base about the safety of diets.
- The production of guidance warning of the dangers of over-exercising.
- New initiatives to diversify the range of role models that are presented in the media.