The pandemic has meant that our work has never been more vital. We must ensure that all young people can get the mental health support they need, when they need it, no matter what.
We have a clear purpose and strategy to continue to grow significantly in our reach and impact, scaling this further into the future. To support this growth, we are looking to add new skills and experiences to our Board by appointing four Trustees to complement the current Board of eight Trustees.
Chair of YoungMinds Board of Trustees
Application deadline: Monday 4 October, 9am
PositionPart-time (15-24 days a year). The position is unpaid, but reasonable expenses such as travel, overnight accommodation and childcare for meetings are provided.
TermThe Chair will be appointed to the Board for an anticipated minimum term of three years. After this, they are eligible to be reappointed for consecutive terms, but cannot be in the role for more than nine years.
LocationFrom 2022 we aim for Board meetings to be half face-to-face and half virtual. Where in person, Board meetings are held at the YoungMinds office in London, SE1 2ND.
About the role
The Chair has overall responsibility for how effectively the Trustees work together with the Senior Leadership Team, and in their governance responsibilities. The Chair will work closely with our Chief Executive, Emma Thomas, to ensure effective leadership of the charity in delivering our You Matter Strategy They will also plan and lead the time trustees spend together to be productive and collaborative.
This is an exciting but critical time, and we are seeking a Chair who can bring a growth-mindset approach to how governance works in an ambitious and growing charity. The Chair should be able to commit an anticipated 15 to 24 days a year to support this.
For full details of the role, including the skills and experience we are looking for, please take a look at the role pack. We hope this will give you a clear insight into what we are looking for and inspire you to apply.
Who we are
We’re the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people's mental health.
To learn more about YoungMinds and what we do, join our free webinar - An Introduction to YoungMinds. The webinar will be held on Monday, 27 September, 5.30-6.30pm.
Please register by 5pm on Thursday, 23 September.
To stop young people's mental health reaching crisis point.
Every young person whose mental health ends up in crisis is a young person who has been failed. We know that the earlier young people can access the right help, the more likely it is that they can avoid these crises.
A world where no young person feels alone with their mental health.
We want to see a world where every young person who is struggling feels able to reach out, and has people and services around them who can really help.
To make sure all young people can get the mental health support they need, when they need it, no matter what.
Whether they need a reassuring conversation, specialist mental health support, or simply the knowledge that they are not alone in how they are feeling, we will make sure that all young people get support that meets them where they're at as quickly as possible.
One of our values is: “We celebrate what makes you you – whoever you are, we welcome you and encourage you to be true to yourself.” We are committed to reaching as diverse a group of applicants as we can and would particularly welcome applications from people from communities that are under-represented in our sector, including those from black and minoritised communities and disabled people.
How to apply
The application has two parts to it.
Firstly, a set of questions to give us a sense of your interest and what you could bring to the organisation as Chair.
Secondly, we ask you to send alongside this an updated CV. We will then use these to do the final shortlisting for those to invite to interview.
To apply, please:
- Send an updated CV.
- Complete and send the Self-Identification form and the Reference and Personal Information form.
- Answer the set of questions below (either by written statement, audio recording, video recording or PowerPoint presentation - whatever works best for you).
- Please tell us a bit about yourself and one thing that makes you want to take on this role with YoungMinds right now.
- Thinking about the role canvas and the skills and abilities we are looking for, please share what relevant skills, experiences and perspectives - including governance experience - you would draw upon in your role as Chair.
- Please share why you would like to take on the specific role of Chair and details of your experience of working with or on a charity Board.
- We'd love to hear what modern and effective governance means to you. How you would see yourself leading to create a productive and inclusive approach, getting the best out of trustees and their work with the Senior Leadership Team?
- What would be your approach to building and maintaining a productive and strong relationship with the CEO? Please share an example of how you have used this approach to good effect in a comparable relationship.
Please don’t feel you need to spend hours or write an essay – this is just to get a sense of you and what’d you’d bring to the role. As an indication, your total response to these questions should be about two sides of a word document, a slide per question, or a four- to five-minute video or audio clip.
Please clearly state the title of the role you are applying for in the subject of the email.
What happens next?
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with members of the Board, our CEO and a member of our Youth Panel, anticipated to be 31 October 2021.
Candidates will also meet with all our Youth Panellists on 16 November 2021 to inform the final decision. It is envisaged that all interviews will be virtual.
Due to the nature of the work we do, before starting with us the following checks are carried out:
- Reference check: All job offers are conditional on the receipt of satisfactory references.
- We ask our Trustees to complete an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check. A previous conviction will not necessarily prevent you from joining YoungMinds. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly.
- Identity check: We are also obliged to confirm your identity and obtain proof of your right to work in the UK.
Induction for the successful applicant will take place from November onwards. New trustees will be formally appointed at a board meeting on 3 February 2022, 4-8pm.
If you have any queries about the role, webinar, or how to apply, please get in touch by emailing [email protected]
Spread the word