- Community support,
- Youth workers
- Suitable for:
- Practitioners working with young people who want to increase their understanding of why young people self-harm, and how best to support those who do.
- Available course dates:
- 29 November 2023
- 30 January 2024
- 27 March 2024
- Three hours and 30 minutes
About this course
This course supports practitioners working with young people to increase their understanding of why young people self-harm, and how best to support those who do.
This workshop will run from 10am-1:30pm with a break.
Why take this course?
Self-harm affects thousands of young people in the UK and it can be hard to know how to respond to it in young people that you work with. This course will help you to consider helpful strategies for supporting young people who self-harm while also supporting your own wellbeing.
- Our online workshops are delivered via Zoom and are an interactive and collaborative experience.
- With two trainer consultants available in each workshop, we can effectively facilitate discussion and provide a safe learning space for you to feel empowered to make a difference for children and young people.
- The online environment allows for individual exploration of key dynamics encountered in the work with young people and the formulation of best practice within your role.
During the course we'll:
- increase understanding of self-harming behaviours
- explore common myths surrounding self-harm, and issues around stigma
- consider helpful responses and strategies to support young people who self-harm
- reflect on the feelings that self-harm can elicit in us as professionals, and how to support our own wellbeing
After taking part in the course you can receive a digital certificate of attendance upon request.
Book your spot: Understanding self-harm
Introduction to trauma and adversity
06 March 2024
Learn about the impact of adverse life experiences on children’s wellbeing and use trauma-informed approaches to support their mental health.
27 February 2024
Understand the importance of resilience and how to help build it in the children and young people you work with.